Star Walk - 5 Stars Astronomy Guide
- Price: $2.99 In Apple Store
- Category: Education
- Updated: 2011-01-04
- Current Version: 5.1.2
- 5.1.2 (iOS 4.0 Tested)
- Size: 83.40 MB
- Language: English, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Arabic
- Seller: Vito Technology Inc.
- Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 3.0 or later
- © 2008-2011 Vito Technology Inc.
Add to Favorite apps
***Winner of Apple Design Award 2010 for the iPad version! Featured by Apple - Best Apps of 2009, Best Apps of 2010, and in iPad TV commercials!*** WHAT IT DOES:Star Walk enables you to point your iPhone at the sky and see what stars, constellations,…..
What's New in Version 5.1.2
Star Walk 5.1.2
• Optimization: runs faster and smoother
• Less space on your device: app size reduced by 40%
• Bug fix
Star Walk 5.1.1 Christmas Edition
• SANTA - As you would assume, he will appear in the sky on Christmas. Luckily, you have the Time Machine to fast forward to Dec 24th and find him.
• AirPrint support - Print the night sky with stars and constellations WIRELESSLY right from your iPаd or iPhone 4.
• NEW STARS catalogues - Stars with exoplanets and the biggest stars, plus more info on spectral class and distance from the Earth.
• SATELLITES INFO - Info about the most interesting satellites, details on the launch and their story.
• Bug fixes
Star Walk 5.0
• SATELLITES - find out where exactly the ISS is right now! (and over 150 satellites more)
• AUGMENTED REALITY for new iPod Touch - So you don’t have a digital compass in your 4th gen iPod Touch, no worries - now you can now enjoy Star Walk augmented reality anyway!
• Superior PRECISION for iPhone: calibrate your compass by matching Star Walk sky with the view acquired from your camera.
• TELRAD: advanced feature to help you measure angular distance between nearby stars. Can be turned on/off in Settings menu.
• BIG SCREEN - connect a second display to view the sky on a big screen!
• New General Catalogue added (this means MORE deep sky objects, galaxies and nebulae!)
• New constellations’ pictures.
• Share your Bookmarks on Facebook!
• Sharing Picture of the Day via Twitter bug fixed.
Rated 5/5 based on 3 customer reviews.
Outstanding, must own
This app is fantastic. You brilliantly executed on creating a stunningly beautiful yet intuitive interface. I especially love the time controls, which let me set the sky in motion and track the stars' movement. Thank you!
www.slinkystudio.info (Star Walk Review)
The App Store has seen a few astronomy Apps but none that really interested me like ‘Star Walk’.
You can see all the constellations in the sky above you by setting your location. It can detect your location automatically by using the GPS built into the iPad and iPhone, if it doesn't find you location you can set it manually as well. I was blown away by this feature alone, it’s so cool to see the sky above you in real time and because we know all the future movements and orientations of everything in the sky like clockwork, ‘Sky Walk’ allows us to go way way into the past to see what the sky above looked like then and the ability to go into the future is also here.
So how do you interact and find out about the constellations. Well thats very very simple, you simply do the universally accepted swipe across your iPhone and iPad screen to see the planets and stars and to get a closer look you pinch in. The coolest way to use ‘Star Walk’ is by holding your iPhone or iPad up to the sky and as you move the device the sky on ‘Star Walk’ also moves with it giving you an exact same sky on your iPad as the one above. This seemed like magic and it’s the most obvious way to do astronomy. If you see something in the sky above that interests you simply hold your iPad up in the air, touch the object your interested in and read all about it in great detail and then you can see where it was in the past and where it will go in the future.
Star Walk allows you see all of the constellations like the ‘Big Dipper’ ect. It surprised me by the huge amount there are in our night sky. I was reading a few other reviews and read this and couldn’t help but share ‘Let me give you an example of how handy this is. I was at a party just a few weekends ago where there was a debate over whether or not a twinkling object in the sky was a satellite or star. I was adamant about it being a satellite and went into a lengthy explanation as to how I could tell. Well, the debate continued on for about 10 minutes before another party goer stepped in to lend his two cents. Unfortunately for me he was armed with Star Walk. He whipped out his phone, pointed it toward the object, and proceeded to tell us the exact name of the star. How can you compete with that? You can’t!’
Another feature that I love in ‘Star Walk’ is the picture of the day. Some of the most amazing photos I have ever seen and I can tweet them so everyone following SlinkyStudio.
This is one of those Apps that every iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad owner has to have. You really never know when this may come in to be useful. The sheer amount of content here is another thing that amazes me and it’s only $2.99, thats a crazy price for all this information. Books about astronomy are about 20x that amount and you wouldn’t be able to get anywhere near close to the amount of information your getting here here.
If your an astronomy lover at all buy this app forget about trying to find a cheaper or free version of a similar one star walk is amazing!
Write a Review
The information may be outdated. For actual information go to iTunes